Compensation Claim: How a Lawyer Can Help You

About Me

Compensation Claim: How a Lawyer Can Help You

My name is Fran. When I was involved in a road traffic accident, my world was all shook up. Not only did I have to spend some time in the hospital, meaning that I couldn't go to work, I also had to deal with the insurance company. All of this would have been overwhelming if it wasn't for the fact I had some legal help. I had never had to instruct a lawyer to act on my behalf, but it turned out to be the best thing I ever did. My lawyer was able to file a claim for compensation which covered the cost of my medical care and the earnings I had lost due to my injury. Now I am back to full health, so I decided to start this blog to help people who need a lawyer.


Tips on How to Make Your Own Claim After a Car Accident

There are instances when car accidents do not result in substantial damage to the car. Also, the vehicle occupants may sustain minor or no injuries. However, even in such situations, you may think about making your claim in court or to the insurer for compensation of the damages. Before going through the process, it is essential to have some knowledge that will help you receive the amount of compensation that you deserve after the accident. Read on for tips on how to file a claim for property damage and personal injury after a car accident.

Filing a claim for injuries

You can make your claim after an accident if the injuries sustained are minor. Minor injuries include soreness, minor cuts and scratches and body pain. Sometimes, some of the pain and discomfort may go away without your visiting a doctor, and others are relieved after one appointment with a health practitioner. If this is the case, you should approach your insurer for compensation. You should approach the other party's insurer if you have evidence of the injuries and have incurred significant costs for your medical care.

If your injuries are minor, then before filing a claim, make sure that you are completely healed and free of pain. If some injuries are undetected, they may end up requiring medical attention after some time. If this happens after the claim has been settled, you will not be able to receive further compensation for medical bills.

Filing a claim for property damage

If you are involved in a car accident that causes damage to your vehicle but does not result in personal injury, you can approach an insurer for compensation. If the damages are minimal, you can ask your insurer for damages. The company is required to negotiate in good faith so that you can all arrive at a reasonable cost for repairing the vehicle. The claim will be deducted from the policy you selected for your vehicle.

On the other hand, if the damages are substantial, it would be better to make a claim against the other driver's insurance company. However, you need to establish that the other party was at fault. If the other party was responsible for the accident, you can file a claim for the full value of the repairs. If you were both to blame, you can negotiate a reasonable amount for each person to pay. However, if you were fully liable, going to your insurer would be the ideal option.

Court versus out-of-court settlement

Before taking a car-accident claim to court, it is worth trying to settle with the insurance companies involved. This is because you can end up losing money filing a lawsuit that may be ruled against you. However, if the insurer refuses to pay up, or if the amount offered is not sufficient, you can approach the court.

Consult a car-accident attorney before making a property damage or personal-injury claim so that you can get further legal advice on how to address the situation.